Tuesday, June 20, 2006


Here is a dish for the Cookbook Challenge #6 Picnics



It is from the book "Cooking from Quilt Country" by Marcia Adams, published by Clarkson N. Potter, Inc. in 1989. It is a book of recipes and traditions of the Amish and Mennonite communities in Indiana. I chose a dish entitled "Jellied Chicken"-also known as pressed chicken. It is a beautiful and elegant picnic addition-seems French with the "gelee" or aspic component, but I think most of the Amish and mennonites are German descent. It would also make an excellent terrine if you added some vegetable layers. I might also have liked some addition herbs such as tarragon or sage in the flavor mix.

JELLIED CHICKEN

6 pounds meaty chicken pieces
2 quarts water
2 ribs celery, halved
2 carrots, halved
1 medium onion, studded with 6 whole cloves
2 bay leaves
handful of fresh parsley
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
Cider vinegar or lemon juice (optional)
additional parsley for garnish
sliced hard-cooked eggs (optional garnish)

In a large stockpot, place the chicken, water, vegetables, and seasoning. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour. Remove meat from the bones while still warm-it's easier that way. Discard skin and place chicken in a lightly oiled 9 or 10 inch loaf pan. Cover and refrigerated overnight.

The next day, skim fat off the broth. (Save this fat for another use;it freezes very well.) Place broth in a large saucepan over high heat and boil util about 2 1/2 cups remain. Soften the gelatin in cold water, add to the hot broth and bring to a boil again. Add a bit of vinegar or lemon juice, if desired. Pour broth over chicken to cover completely, then refrigerate overnight. This can be made 3 days ahead of time.

Serve garnished with Parsle, hard cooked eggs and her mayonaise.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Mick,
You're such a hard a$$ LOL ;-)

The chipolte dip sounds good...how did you do it?

I guess that Illinois tomatos (I'm assuming that they're Illinois tomatos) other than sliced w/a little salt, can be improved, unless of course they're from your parents or Uncle Bills' gardens.

Your cuz,
Kevin

Ziz said...

I am pretty sure I that same cookbook and I adore it. One of my favorite casseroles comes from an amish cookbook (could very well be cooking from quilt country) -- and now that I think of it, I have quite a few amish cookbooks. I need to get things in gear and try out some recipes I guess. :o)

Thank you so much for participating!

Sara said...

Scott's grandmother makes a similar dish. I've never tried it - I just can't do it...but this does sound pretty good...