Monday, July 10, 2006






Sunday Panfried chicken dinner

I don't usually do fried chicken at home. We make a lovely family-style fried chicken dinner at the restaurant, but Dan's sisters were coming-some of them aren't very adventuresome eaters-they requested fried chicken. I fried it in my prized Griswold iron skillet which was a gift from my mama when I moved into my first apartment in Chicago over 30 years ago.

Also on the menu-deviled eggs, potato salad, carrot-apricot-date salad, and pineapple upside cake. It could have been the 1950's in the prosperous and peaceful "I Like Ike" era. I don't know how to characterize this era other than violent, divided and intolerant, and I can't think of an affectionate saying for our current president like "I like Ike". I could resort to name calling, but I won't. It is amazing how good fried chicken and lazy summer Sundays can let you forget the troubles of the world for awhile

No comments: