Sunday, January 21, 2007


Dutch Baby

Reading some of my favorite blogs last week I found two of them baking Dutch Babies and one making a soup from one of the "Dairy Hollow Inn" cookbooks. I stayed at the Dairy Hollow Inn one weekend. It is located in enchanting Eureka Springs Arkansas. The charms of Eureka Springs are many. It is home to several artists and writers, it is almost as hilly as SanFrancisco, the architecture of the cottages is whimsical and delightful, it has a small opera company, and it has Thorn Crown Chapel-a much studied example of last century's modern architecture. It has been over 20 years since I last visited Eureka Springs, but it has a haunting quality that keeps it fresh in my memories.

So after reading about the soup from Dairy Hollow Inn, I remembered the breakfast they served, and it was Dutch Baby with blueberries. So that 's the connection. I decided to make my own for a late Sunday breakfast, with sauteed pears. They are simple to make and they look delicious.
3 eggs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup all purpose flour
2 tablespoons melted butter
Whip the eggs with salt and milki
Gradulally stir in the flour
Add the melted butter
Pour into a 9" cast iron skillet and bake in a 425 degree oven for 20 minutes
Reduce the oven temperature to 350, dock the bottom of the pancake and continu to bake for 10 minutes longer.
When the pancake is finished baking sift powdered sugar over it and spritz it with fresh lemon juice.
I topped mine with fresh pear slices sauteed with some butter, sugar, cinnamon, and a splash of champagne.

1 comment:

wheresmymind said...

That sounds like too much fun!