Monday, September 15, 2008



Stuffed Breast of Veal


I found this small breast of veal in the freezer at Schnuck's last week. It was an unusual cut to find without special ordering it. Veal breast can be tough and fatty, but after a long braise they can also turn into a luscious and tender vittle. I stuffed it with traditional Thanksgiving style bread stuffing and braised it with some stock and wine. Along side I put in some turnips and carrots. I flavored it with some rosemary and popped it into a 300 degree oven for about 2 1/2 hours. It was very tasty and welcome with the change in temperature and weather this week.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

I've never heard of a veal (or beef) breast....in Texas, we call it brisket...........

mickey said...

Interesting point Kevin, I don't know why in some areas it is called veal brisket, most of the recipes seem to be Eastern European or Jewish, but there are plenty of Jewish beef brisket recipes as well. If anyone knows the definitive answer please enlighten us.
Mickey