Monday, May 25, 2009











Memorial Day Ribs


Potluck at my friend Mary's for Memorial day. Everyone contributed, Mary made pasta salad, Diane brought a green salad-she grew the lettuce, she's a big gardener, Pat brought garlic bread-he burnt it. Judy brought white cake with chocolate frosting-she bakes from scratch-no mixes. My contribution was the ribs. I made three kinds, Tandoori, terriyaki, and sweet barbeque. I didn't get a picture of the bbq, but here are the other two. I just sliced them all and loaded them into my larger copper oval pan. Caitlyn, (pat's daughter and Dan's niece) played her sax for us. She is an accomplished musician and will be studying music at SIUE next year after she graduates high school. We all laughed and played cards until late into the night. A great big slice of Americana.
This tandoori paste is also really good on rotisserie chicken.

Tandoori

2 cups of plain yogurt

1/4 cup grated fresh ginger root

2 cloves of garlic, minced

1 hot chili (I used a bird's eye), minced

1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice

1 Tablespoon cumin seed

1 Tablespoon mustard seed

1/4 cup commercial tandoori spice


Combine all of the ingredients except the yogurt in a mortar and pestle and mash into a paste.


Spread the paste over two racks of baby back ribs and marinate over night.


Grill over indirect heat until the ribs are tender, brushing with additional yogurt mixture, about 2 to 2 1/2 hours-keep the heat very low.











2 comments:

Kevin said...

The ribs look excellent!! I'll have to try the Tandoori sauce. I'm SOOOOOO glad that you grilled the ribs low and slow, well 2 1/2 hours is kinda slow. (however smoking 6-7 hours is preferred)

Please don't let me know that you either baked or boiled them.........

The Duo Dishes said...

Double yay for the ribs. Beef or pork...we love them both.