Monday, October 05, 2009




Weiner Schnitzel , Spaetzle, and Apple Fritter


I'll be running this special in the restaurant for the month of October. German food isn't at the top of the food trends, which all seem to be fixated on Italy and Spain at the moment, but they seem to always be welcome this time of year. For this dish I bread crumbed some tender veal cutlets and quickly sauteed them. I paired them with some Spatzle and sauced the dish with a reduction of hard apple cider, veal demi glace, and bacon. I added some apple fritters for fun.


The cutlets were from the leg, trimmed and lightly pounded, then dredged first in flour, then egg, and finally the bread crumbs. Let the breading set for 1/2 hour in the refrigerator. Saute quickly in a hot saute pan with a bit of oil.


The spaetzle are really easy as well.


3 eggs, lightly beaten
2 cups milk
2 cups flour

1/4 teaspoon of baking soda

Salt to taste and add couple gratings of fresh nutmeg


Mix up the ingredients and let them rest for 1/2 hour before pushing through the spaetzle cutter, a large holed colander will work if you do not have a spaetzle cutter. Just place the cutter or colander over boiling water and force the dough through the holes. When they float they are finished cooking. Remove them and hold for serving. When it's time to serve them just reheat with a bit of butter in a saute pan.

For the sauce:
4 rashers of bacon
2 tablespoons of flour
3 cups of hard apple cider
1 cup veal demi glace (can substitute rich chicken stock)
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
Salt and pepper to taste
For the sauce I chopped up four rashers of bacon and cooked them in a sauce pan, add 2 tablespoons of flour and make a roux. When the flour is cooked, add 3 cups hard apple cider and 1 cup veal demi glace (you could use a strong chicken stock if you don't have the demi-glace, but the sauce will not be as sumptuous). Cook and reduce for a few minutes. Flavor the sauce with a combination of cider vinegar and sugar to taste. I start with a 1/4 cup of each and taste. Add more sweet or tart to get the right balance for you.
Apple fritters:
For the apple fritters, I cored and sliced the apples, battered them in my beer batter (I substituted the hard cider for beer in that recipe) and deep fried them.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

That looks like a delicious Oktoberfest meal. I must try making spaetzle sometime. Maybe I should just try your whole meal plan here! The apple fritters are a fun component.

Unknown said...

I had this dish at the restaurant on 22 Oct 2009, and it was fantastic. I'm looking forward to trying to recreate it myself.