Monday, April 19, 2010



Egg Foo Yong


Growing up in small town Mid-America in the 60's, Chinese food was the most exotic food we knew. My family really enjoyed it when we made the 45 mile trek to Peoria, where the closest Chinese restaurant was located. My mom would always bring home some Chinese tea bags, because she said "It's always the best"-and, as usual, she was right. Egg Foo Yong is one of those Americanised Chinese dishes i really like. I think it makes a really elegant Sunday breakfast.



Egg Foo Yong is really just an unrolled omlet with bits of vegetabes and meat stirred in, and topped with a brown sauce. I used some pea shoots, bean sprouts, scallion, and left over lamb chop. Garlic, ginger, sesame, sherry, and soy sauce are always part of my Chinese cooking. I topped my eggs with a brown sauce made of chicken broth with the afore mentioned flavors and seasonings. I used some oyster mushrooms in the sauce as well, Shiitake would have been more appropriate, but they are my least favorite mushroom-I eat them once in a while, but I prefer these oyster mushrooms.


2 comments:

Kevin said...

Just this morning I was touting your home-made egg rolls (with peanut butter) to a friend. I love Chinese food also, but Egg Foo Young is probably my favorite dish.

mickey said...

Kevin,
I forgot about those egg rolls, I haven't made them in years. I got the recipe from a vegetarian caterer in Chicago called "Small Planet Catering", located across the street from Wrigley Field-of course that was several years ago.