Monday, July 19, 2010













My "New" Copper Pans
Well, at least new to me. We left early Saturday morning to look for some Holly trees, and on the way to the nursery we came upon an estate sale. It was still early and a couple of hours before I had to leave for work, so we went in. On the outside it was a neat and tidy brick bungalow located in the neighborhood known as Holly Hills, close to Carondelet Park. Inside it was crammed full of stuff. Curios, and curio cabinets, furniture, collectibles, and clothes. It was obviously someone's lifetime accumulation. It looks to have been a happy life, although everything was quite dirty and grimy. There was alot of religious iconography, several fur coats-each stylish in their era, fancy gowns, men's suits as well. Since it was the last day of the sale everything was half off.
In the corner of a very greasy, dirty kitchen was a sad little pan rack with several pans hanging on it-and a sign which read, set $35.00-there were 7 pans and 5 lids. Some of the pans were so covered in grime that you could barely recognize them as copper.
Several pans had their original price tags still attached and labels and care instructions still on the inside. I don't think they were ever used. After at least 5 hours of elbow grease and a couple tubs of Twinkle Copper Cream, the pans look beautiful. The half off sale price came to $17.50 or less than $3.00 per pan.
Note to Mom:Remember the time in South Padre and Mexico we went to all those flea markets looking for copper pans-well I finally found them.

3 comments:

Chef Dennis Littley said...

now that was a great deal!!! I can't imagine what they would have cost new.......and Padre Island I went there as a child, when we moved to New Jersey I refused to believe that pathetic excuse for a beach was all there was....how I miss Texas

Lisa said...

Wow -- that's amazing! Congrats on finding those pans!

Jean | DelightfulRepast.com said...

Wow! Such a deal! I see you have a yellow kitchen too. I have always had a yellow kitchen--it's a must!