Monday, June 25, 2012


Coctel de Camarones


I've been eating in alot of Mexican places lately and the shrimp cocktail is at the top of my list of things to order.  They are usually served in these huge icy bowls with soda crackers on the side.  I don't know why anyone would need crackers when there are always lots of hot corn chips-unless it's a Mexican faux-pas to eat chips with shrimp cocktail.  The sauce is a little on the thin side and slightly sweet. 

Here is what I did:
I first reduced some V8 cocktail juice with some garlic and bay leaf.  When the juice was slightly thickened I threw in the shrimp and let them cook in the juice.  Remove the pan from the heat just before the shrimp are done-they will continue to cook for a couple of more minutes.  Chill the shrimp in the sauce.

When the shrimp were chilled, I added the following:
diced onion
diced pepper-both hot and sweet
diced tomato
diced avocado
chopped fresh cilantro
fresh lime juice
salt and pepper

Chill a couple of hours before serving.  Serve with additional avocado, cilantro, lime wedges, and corn chips or soda crackers.

No comments: